The goal of the DataBench Toolbox is to provide a way of reusing existing big data benchmarking efforts under a common framework, providing therefore a way to select, download and homogenize technical and business indicators.
The DataBench Toolbox is the core technical component of the DataBench Framework. It will be the entry point for users that would like to perform big data benchmarking and will ultimately deliver recommendations and business insights. It will include features to reuse existing big data benchmarks, and will help users to search, select, download, execute and get a set of homogenized results.
The Toolbox will allow different users to work with different aspects of benchmarking:
- For Benchmarking Providers: The Toolbox will allow benchmarking tool providers to add their own benchmarking tool to the DataBench ecosystema by a simple user interface where they could 1) add specific metadata about the benchmark tool to make it searchable, and 2) adding some deployment recipes to enable the automation of the deployment and usage of their tool from the DataBench Toolbox. The tools that are completely registered will be not only searchable or recommended to users, but they could potentially be deployed or used from DataBench and the process to get the results of the run could be then integrated into the Toolbox. This extra integration will enable users to get a set of homogenized metrics as well as business insights beyond what the single tools could offer.
- For Technical Users: Technical users that would like to benchmark tools or applications may search and select benchmarks from the ones included in the DataBench catalog according to their particular needs. The Toolbox will offer filtering and recommendation mechanisms to enable this type of funcitonality. If the benchmark selected is also integrated, users may download and install the benchmark either in their own premises or in a public cloud, and run the benchmark. The Toolbox will enable the gathering of the results of the run and do further homogenization of technical metrics and business KPIs.
- For Business Users: Business users will be able to search for existing benchmarks, but most likely they wouldn't run technical benchmarks, but rather look for existing data and reports related to previous benchmarks in their respective industries and business. The Toolbox will enable search and recommendation functionalities to access to business KPIs and business related benchmarks.
- Searching and recommendations: Interface for technical users to search, select and run big data benchmarks among a miriad of tools available in the field.
- Extensigility. Possibility to automate the process of deploying, running and getting the results of the run back for a new or existing benchmarks
- Homogeniztion of technical metrics
- Derivation of Business insights and potential business KPIs:
Benchmarking any big data related solution or applications
There is a bunch of benchmarking tools for big data, but no concrete methodology to select the most appropriate and no way to enable the homogenization of metrics and get extra business insights from the running of benchmarks. The DataBench Toolbox will be a one-stop shop that will allow technical and business users to search, select, run and get recommendations to match their benchmarking needs. Benchmarking providers will get an extra channel to advertise their tools as well as the potential benefit of being selected by users that otherwise wouldn't knwo them.
Integration of multiple independent big data benchmarking tools into a single brokerage environment enabling its searching and execution.